Telecom Industry in Nigeria Forecast, Trends & Opportunities, 2001-2017
The market for telecom in Nigeria expanded at a good rate in 2011 and accounted for over 95 million subscribers. By the end of 2016, the mobile subscriptions in Nigeria are expected to reach 130 million. The market is going through a period of transition right now with the state eagerly giving away permission to privatize the sector as much as possible and has also left it open to many other new players to enter and run business.
Nigerian Mobile Telco has been referred to as the fastest growing market in Africa. Nigerian telecoms came into mainstream about a decade ago when the deregulation of the subsector of the economy gave way to the private involvement. The market is divided into urban and semi-urban, and rural market.
NITEL was the principal telecommunications company owned by the Federal Government and responsible for all wired telecommunications in the country before the advent of the Global System for Mobile (GSM) communications services. Today, Nigeria is in the midst of an era of globalization and high-speed communication. Trends and means of telecommunications are changing fast; having positive effect on the overall economy of the country. The level-playing field provided by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), has resulted in substantial increase in competition spanning a wide spectrum of telecoms services.
Over the years, the industry has been swept up in innovation, facing a plethora of challenges like poor quality of service, competition, churn and decline in voice calls; mobile Internet is gradually replacing voice as staple business. Advances in network technology led to this development. Telecom is now less about voice and increasingly about text and images. High-speed internet access, which delivers computer-based data applications such as broadband information services and interactive entertainment, is rapidly making its way into homes and businesses across the world. The fastest growth comes from services delivered over mobile networks.
MTN, Globacom, Airtel and Etisalat are the top players in the industry at the moment with MTN leading the Nigerian telecom market. With so many players in the market, competitors rely heavily on price to slug it out for market share while success rests largely on brand name, strength and heavy investment in efficient billing systems.
As local operators realize the need to improve the quality of their networks, a substantial number of contracts are being won by multinational telecoms solutions providers. The launch of mobile number portability should help give the sector a competitive boost, by allowing mobile users to change their service provider more easily. The operators for long have been asking the government to take care of the power situation in the country for betterment of the services provided. This also remains one of the major issues that ought to be taken care of fast. The Nigerian government is also taking concrete steps to address the companies’ concerns with the announcement being made already that by the end of the year, gas power would provide the country with 1,800 megawatts, in addition to its current capacity of about 4,000 megawatts. The industry seems to be well set for now and highly looking forward to scale new heights in the future ahead if all goes well and according to the plans.
In this industry scenario, TaiyouReports.com analyzes the Nigerian telecom sector in its research report Telecom Industry in Nigeria. The report covers the following:
• An analysis of the global telecom industry through an industry definition, industry statistics, industry value & volume analysis, industry segmentation, and a look at the competition in the global telecom industry. We also include an industry forecast for the years 2011-2016.
• An in-depth analysis of the major global telecom players such as AT&T Inc, Deutsche Telekom, and others. Each player is analyzed through a company overview, analysis of their businesses, a financial analysis and a SWOT analysis.
• Moving on to the analysis of the Telecom Industry in Nigeria, we analyze the industry starting with an overview of the business conditions in Nigeria for the telecom sector. We include an ARPU analysis of the Nigerian telecom sector, along with an overview of the mobile services sector in Nigeria, fixed line telecom sector in Nigeria and an overview of broadband services in Nigeria.
• An analysis of the mobile telecom sector in Nigeria is carried out through the analysis of industry statistics, the growth in the market, ARPU analysis of this sector, the expansion and development of the mobile network in the country, the launch of 3G services in the country, the growing role of mobile content and VAS facilities in the market, and the statistics of the major players in the mobile services sector in Nigeria. An outlook for the sector is also included.
• We then perform a SWOT analysis on the mobile services sector in Nigeria.
• Fixed line telecom market in Nigeria is analyzed through industry statistics, subscriber data, and an analysis of the major players and their market statistics.
• A SWOT analysis of the wireline telecom sector in Nigeria is included.
• An analysis of the broadband market in Nigeria looks at industry statistics, industry growth and development trends, the potential of WiMAX, and several other factors.
• Regulatory framework governing the telecom sector in Nigeria is analyzed.
• Major industry vendors and players such as NITEL and MTN are analyzed through a company overview, analysis of their mobile services, analysis of their network, company strategy, company financials, a SWOT analysis, amongst others.
TaiyouReports.com's analysis of the Telecom Industry in Nigeria is a comprehensive statistical and analytical study of this highly competitive industry.
1. Executive Summary
1.1 Key Takeaways
1.2 Report Coverage
1.3 Research Methodology
2. Global Telecom Industry
2.1 Industry Definition
2.2 Industry Statistics
2.3 Industry Value & Volume Analysis
2.4 Industry Segmentation
2.5 Competition in the Industry
2.6 Industry Forecast
3. Major Global Telecom Players
3.1 AT&T Inc.
3.1.1 Company Overview
3.1.2 Business Analysis
3.1.3 Financial Analysis
3.1.4 SWOT Analysis
3.2 Deutsche Telekom AG
3.2.1 Company Overview
3.2.2 Business Analysis
3.2.3 Financial Analysis
3.2.4 SWOT Analysis
3.3 Verizon Communications
3.3.1 Company Overview
3.3.2 Business Analysis
3.3.3 Financial Analysis
3.3.4 SWOT Analysis
3.4 Nippon Telegraph and Telephone (NTT)
3.4.1 Company Overview
3.4.2 Business Analysis
3.4.3 Financial Analysis
4. Telecom Industry in Nigeria
4.1 Overview of Business Conditions in Nigeria for the Telecom Sector
4.2 Nigeria Telecom Sector: Average Revenue per User (ARPU) Analysis
4.3 Mobile Services in Nigeria
4.4 Fixed Line Telecom in Nigeria
4.5 Broadband Services in Nigeria
5. Mobile Sector in Nigeria
5.1 Industry Statistics
5.2 Growth in Mobile Sector
5.3 Popularity of CDMA Operators
5.3 Average Revenue per User & Subscriber Statistics in Mobile Sector
5.4 Development of Mobile Network
5.5 Launch & Uptake of 3G & LTE (4G) Services in Nigeria
5.6 Mobile Content & Value-Added Services (VAS) – Regional View
5.7 Presence of Major Players in the Mobile Sector & their Market Statistics
5.8 Sector Outlook
6. SWOT Analysis: Mobile Industry in Nigeria
7. Fixed Line Telecom Market in Nigeria
7.1 Industry Statistics
8. SWOT Analysis: Wireline Telecom & Broadband Industry in Nigeria
9. Internet Market in Nigeria
9.1 Industry Statistics
9.2 Industry Developments
9.3 Market for Wireless Broadband
10. Telecom Industry in Nigeria: Regulatory Framework
10.1 Major Regulatory Agencies
10.2 Intense Competition in the Sector
10.3 Industry Licensing System
10.4 Industry Regulatory Developments
11. Major Industry Vendors & Market Trends
12. Major Industry Players
12.1.1 Company Overview
12.1.2 Analysis of Mobile Services
12.1.3 Analysis of Network
12.1.4 Company Strategy
12.1.5 Financial Analysis
12.1.6 SWOT Analysis
12.2.1 Company Overview
12.2.2 Analysis of Mobile Services
12.2.3 Analysis of Network
12.2.4 Company Strategy
12.2.5 Financial Analysis
12.2.6 SWOT Analysis
12.3.1 Company Overview
12.3.2 Analysis of Network
12.3.3 Company Strategy
12.3.4 Financial Analysis
12.3.5 SWOT Analysis
12.4.1 Company Overview
12.4.2 Analysis of Mobile & Fixed Line Services
12.4.3 Analysis of Network
12.4.4 Company Strategy
12.4.5 Financial Analysis
12.4.6 SWOT Analysis
Available on Request
Available on Request